Thread: 617 22 Revolver
View Single Post

Old 09-25-2011, 03:08 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

As noted they can be accurate guns. However they also have a reputation for being ammunition sensitive, which means you'll have to do some experimenting to determine what ammo is the most accurate.

I have a 6 inch no dash 6 shooter and to date my best group was 2 inches at 35 yards for 24 rounds from a bench rest. Ammo used was Cheap Winchester Xpert HV from Walmart and it's a pretty dirty shooting ammunition. Chamber fouling becomes a problem at about 50 rounds downrange and when that happens it can be difficult to get fresh loads fully seated in the cylinder. Then it will start misfiring because all the first strike does is finish seating the round. IMO most of the misfire problems with any 22 are likely due to fouled chambers. Because of this I only use the Winchester when I'm in the mood to see just what I can do in terms of tiny groups.

Usually I like shooting the Federal copper washed bulk ammo because it is a very clean shooting 22. Don't have any issues with chamber fouling or misfires. Downside is that it isn't quite as accurate as the Winchester. Best effort to date at 35 yards for a 24 round aggregate is 2.75 inches. That really isn't that bad but it is a noticeable difference, so the Federal is used mainly for casual plinking or working on speed drills.

Now, in all fairness I have to tell you that some of the 22 semi's can put the 617 to shame. That time that I scored that 2 inch 24 round aggragate I was feeling pretty darned good about how I was shooting. Until an older gent sat down in the next booth over and pulled out a Browning Buckmark equipped with a scope. He then proceeded to shoot 3/4 inch groups at the same distance. Since I was shooting with a 2 MOA red dot I really don't think that scope made that much of a difference, IMO it was a case of a superior gun in the hands of a superb shooter. Quite simply, those Brownings have a lot going for them in terms of accuracy and I understand why they have such a loyal following. While the 617 is very good, there are handguns that are more accurate, so they aren't King of that Hill. However, revolvers don't jam and semi's in 22LR can be incredibly picky about what ammo they will feed reliably. In additon, I find revolvers a lot more enjoyable to shoot.