Thread: PISTOL PRIMERS
View Single Post

Old 09-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Liked 2,608 Times in 1,104 Posts

Again---I follow directions, but I wonder about things.
I found some good discussion on another board and some links with the conversation that have made a great deal of sense of this for me.
The discussion--I asked thse same question to start the thread--and some of the answers led to a link on primers and reloading rifles.
There seems to be the same parallels of the effect/affect of choices of primers in rifles as well as handguns.
The first is one can change primers and it may be beneficial when the discussion goes to bench rest shooting or developing the most accurate loading.
The idea of this is when you change to softer/larger/hotter primers it is necessary to soften the powder charge to accomodate higher pressures. This seems to be especially necessary when the powder chosen is case filling or close to it.
Case filling, as I have seen it suggested, is very good for developing accuracy.
Using a hotter powder and reducing load may reduce accuracy.
It makes sense to me that any primer---if it will fit in the charge hole of the case---can be changed to develope loads.
I am beginning to get the feel of the cause, affect, and reasoning for primers (criteria) and choices of primers.
Blessings

Last edited by williamlayton; 09-26-2011 at 07:08 PM.