View Single Post

Old 09-26-2011, 09:56 PM

Liked 82 Times in 13 Posts

Honestly, some of you guys spend too much time behind a keyboard and not enough time hunting hogs. We shoot them here with whatever is at hand. Shot a nice sow with a .17 HMR while squirrel hunting. One shot to the ear flap and she was doing the Curley Shuffle. We hunt squirrels here with a .22 magnum or the .17 so if a hog walks by we can ear hole him.

The problem most folks have is they shoot them behind the shoulder. Nothing back there but a little lung and lots of guts. Hogs should be head shot anyplace from the ear to the base of their neck.

First wild hog I ever killed I shot with a .40 S&W Glock 23. One shot at about 35 yards and it was over. Some cheapy FMJ practice ammo if I remember correctly. Hit him where his neck meets his shoulders. I usually carry a .44 Special, but a good .357 would be fine. Any load, they are not hard to kill if head shot. I'd shoot one with my Super .38 if I came across one while carrying it. Sometimes I carry my Marlin Camp Nine in 9mm and don't feel undergunned at close range.

I guess if I was wanting to choose a specific load for the .357 to hog hunt with, I'd load 158 XTP's over a honking charge of H-110 or 2400 and try that. I just bought some 124 gr. HP/XTP's to load in my Super for the upcoming deer season. We usually kill lots of hogs while deer hunting and this is what I think I'm going to try.