View Single Post

Old 09-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts

This is the exit wound from a 240gr XTP from a Marlin 1894 @ about 1800fps (give or take 50fps) fired from about 50 yards away. The entrance hole was, and I say, was, the right eye.

This one didn't move except to do the "curly shuffle" as well.
I understand there is a hog problem in Texas. I understand that folks just want to kill them, they don't care how or how humane. Okay, and I'm not a tree hugger or anything like that but, still, I want to have a clean kill. I think that is what hunters are all about. Being humane while taking game. I want enough gun/bullet/velocity to make that happen.

If you go below this line, you are going to see blood and gore. Just wanted to warn you!

These were a bit bigger. Still, my sow was taken with a Marlin 1894 too, it just wasn't mine! I borrowed this one then bought my own!
This time though, the hog was running right to left @ 40 yards, I shot offhand and the projectile was a 250gr H&G #503 powered by a healthy charge of WC820, a military surplus powder, still about 1800fps. It hit right behind the shoulder, where their kill zone is, and it dropped, dead right there. Son #2, in the photograph too, shot his with a .30-06 and it dropped right there too.
Shot in about 30ft from one another.

Here:

FWIW

Last edited by Skip Sackett; 09-26-2011 at 11:00 PM.