View Single Post

Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Liked 312 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kent View Post
Jimmy, as a former LE officer, surely you know that "the Brass" always does everything logically. Truly I believe they thought that 357's were "too" powerful and harder to shoot well. I am sure that some of our more knowledgeable Ca. LE vets will chime in with the reason in as much as they were there.
I may not be a former LE officer, but I am an old guy who has watched government bureaucracy all my life.

Any LE agency is just another government bureaucracy, and as such, decisions are often made by individuals in positions of responsibility but not in positions that require expertise in all things that relate to their job.

So prefacing the following by saying that I do NOT know specifically why that decision was made, I can offer some possible reasons that might have popped into the head of the guy who made the decision.

1. Cost - Bulk buys of .38Spcl ammo are bound to cost a little less than bulk buys of .357, so the guy thought he was being cost conscious with little thought of the performance of the ammunition.

2. Liberal mindset - The guy might have felt that .38 was more humane and that fewer perps would die as a result.

3. Liability - He might have thought that using a less powerful ammunition in service weapons would make it easier to defend justified shootings in court.

4. Totally clueless - He might even have considered that CHIP officers might have to shoot while moving, and that the .38 might be more controllable with only the other hand on the handbar of the bike.

5. Anything at all - You never know what goes on in the mind of a bureaucrat. We should have all learned that by now.
The Following User Likes This Post: