Thread: PISTOL PRIMERS
View Single Post

Old 10-02-2011, 07:28 PM

Liked 5,205 Times in 2,173 Posts

Quote:
It makes sense to me that any primer---if it will fit in the charge hole of the case---can be changed to develope loads.
I am beginning to get the feel of the cause, affect, and reasoning for primers (criteria) and choices of primers.
Blessings
Before you decide you have it figured out and launch off into new experiments, may I offer a word of caution from the ol' physics prof.

Internal ballistics (what happens before the bullet leaves the barrel) is an incredibly complicated mess of partial differential equations that are non-linear (meaning they don't follow "common sense").
It is not only more complicated than someone who does not know calculus can understand, it is more complicated than he can imagine.

Therefore, it is prudent to use loading recipes that are published in at least 2 reputable manuals. Simply changing brands of primers on a medium load of the common powders is highly unlikely to cause a problem, but playing with specific powders operating near the limits of their stable range can generate surprises that "don't make sense" to the layman, and following recommendations of powder manufacturers may save you a gun, or injury.