View Single Post

Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,853 Times in 817 Posts
Default .22/.32 Heavy Target bobbed hammer

I'm not sure this is interesting enough to justify space used but I am the possessor of one of these very interesting revolvers. originally obtained by accident with standard hammer but as time passed it was traded for something more interesting at the time. the next time I saw the gun the spur was missing from the hammer, the owner was not even aware so we dickered and I again had an Heavy Frame Target but now with a "Bobbed" hammer. The search was on for the missing spur and eventually it was recovered. Now I have this HFT without a spur on its hammer and I do not want a spurless hammer. I make inquiries with some of the old time S&W Collectors and find one, made the deal for it and when it arrives I install it but it does not function as a double action as it should. Not wanting to make any changes to the marrying parts I just removed the new hammer and replaced it with the hammer missing its spur. Finally located another hammer with some additional parts I found on this forum and it dropped in and function was perfect. I do not think they made "bobbed" hammers as an option from the S&W factory and my thoughts are that the hammer spurs were one of the weak spots thus causing "bobbed hammers". Apologize if this was boring. this is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited by smitholdtimer; 10-04-2011 at 04:31 PM.