View Single Post

Old 10-04-2011, 05:24 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,594 Times in 8,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
Thank you!

I had a chance to give it a good cleaning last night. It's really in very good condition with just enough character to not feel bad shooting it. All the serial numbers match (barrel, extractor, cylinder) and the bore in the barrel and chambers are mirror bright. It looks like it hasn't been shot very much all. The side plate screws are perfect and look like they've not been turned. If they were, it was with the proper screw driver by someone that wasn't a hack.
All in all, this gun looks like it was owned by someone who appreciated it and took very good care of it.

It's my first Smith with a gold bead front sight and I'm really impressed with how good the sight picture is with it.

I'm planning on having it lettered and I'm looking forward to finding out exactly were and when it started its' life.

It's really neat to be able to fondle a gun that's 80 +/- years old. The craftsmanship that went into these old Smiths is nothing short or remarkable. I think I get as much pleasure out of just looking at them as I do actually shooting them.
I'm hoping to get her to the range in the next few days to see how she shoots.
I just looked back to see what you paid for it and I feel that you sure got your money's worth on that deal. I find your gun very interesting because it seems to have been made at the point, 1929-30 when some features were changing: The non-medallion grips of the 1920s were just being phased out and silver ones introduced, the 2nd style ER knob was just transitioning from the 'mushroom' head, and the serial # penciled on the inside of the right grip was being changed to a stamping. I'm curious to know if yours is penciled on or stamped.
S&WCA #819