View Single Post

Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Back in the day, all the ammo companies had an interchangeability statement with their ammo. Almost all indicated you could use shorts in the long chambers.

First step would be to really look into the cylinder to be sure they aren't bored the same diameter. The real danger is if it is, you could even chamber 32 magnums! Wow, would that ever be fun.

The real difference between the 32 short and longs seems to be the bullet weight. And about 50 fps. The cartridge is loaded very low because of all the offbrand guns imported back in the early part of the last century and before. Some made our cap guns in the 1950s look strong. Pot metal castings would be a complement. But no matter how junky, I don't want anyone shooting at me with one. Back in the day, the theory was the same. Any gun is better than no gun. And with primitive medicine, any wound would eventually prove fatal! Times have changed and the anti-gun forces will tell you the police will protect you.

No matter how poorly made, they will often fire. No reason to push the spanish imports. Don't fire anything in them. But I'm thinking a 1970s H&R is made from decent steel. Maybe not top of the line, but not junk either. I sure wouldn't suggest you fire proof loads in it, but shorts and longs in .32 shouldn't make a difference.