View Single Post

Old 10-09-2011, 11:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Remington Sm. Pistol Primers 1 1/2 & 5 1/2 Inquiry

Ladies and Gents,

A couple of eons ago, during the Great Primer Shortage of 2009 or thereabouts, I was unable to buy my usual primer of choice, Winchester Small Pistol, but I was able to get Remington Small Pistol #1 1/2. They seemed to work fine.

Then, a while ago, and after the Shortage (Winchester having become available), while in Bi-Mart to buy some primers, the store had on sale some Remington Small Pistol primers at a much lower price than the Winchesters. Being the tightwad that I am, I said, "What the heck?", and bought them.

When I got home, I found they were Remington #5 1/2s instead of #1 1/2s. I looked all over the box to make sure that I didn't accidentally buy Magnum primers, and nowhere on the box did it say "Magnum," so I used them. As a matter of fact, I used them all, and they all went "bang," just like the #1 1/2s.

So, my simple inquiry is: What is the difference between #1 1/2s and #5 1/2s? (I couldn't discern any.) And, while we're at it, What is it with Remington and this "1/2" business anyhow?

Since I've used all the primers, this is a moot point. I'm just curious, that's all. (And if no one sees fit to respond, I guess it will be a "mute point" as well!)

Thanks in advance!

Mike
HHC, 17th Combat Aviation Group
Nha Trang Vietnam
1969-1970