View Single Post

Old 10-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Liked 25,733 Times in 8,694 Posts

Your post made me chuckle! I started collecting old ammo about 12 years ago and every once in a while I'd run into an Old Timer at the Range who was just about to shoot a 60 or 70 year old box in pristine condition. I would routinely offer to replace his ammo with factory fresh and they would always be willing to do it. After a while I actually had guys calling me to let me know they would either exchange their ammo with me, or just out and out sell it. I bought most of it for less than it would have cost me to buy fresh ammo at the Gun Shop.

Now I have a sizable collection that has taken over a very large closet. I used to display it in my Gun Room (on a shelf) but now it has just grown too large for that. Once in a Blue Moon, I will take a vintage gun such as a Colt Model M pocket model built in 1915 and shoot it with a box of the old ammo - just feels right. It gives me great pleasure knowing that the old gun is shooting ammo from same era, and besides, my collection has grown to the point that I need to cull it down once in a while.

I inherited a pristine CASE of Remington 38 Special "Police Cartridges" that came packed 2,000 rounds (50 boxes) to the case. The case was still Factory sealed and I offered it for sale for what I thought was a very reasonable price of $1000.00. You can't even but new ammo in that configuration for that price today, so I figured even if someone just wanted it to shoot it would be a good bargain! Guess what..........after posting it for am month and no bidders, I said the heck with it and broke opened the carton and started shooting it. I saved a few boxes, but I have enjoyed shooting the old ammo out of my pre- 1920's Hand Ejector. Still works great! I also love the looks I get at the Range when someone sees the boxes. They routinely ask me if Remington has changed their boxes........

Chief38

Last edited by chief38; 10-11-2011 at 06:31 AM.