View Single Post

Old 10-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Which is more powerful .357 Magnum or .45ACP?

I have this posted in this section because I wouldn't try some of the hotter ammo in the older guns.

I'm trying to figure out overall which is the more powerful round. I carry both often. Now I know that some have been able to manufacturer .45ACP 185gr at 616 FT/Lbs of energy out of a 5" 1911- which is reaching 10mm ballistics. The same company however produces a .357 magnum 125gr round that yields 728 Ft/lbs out of a 5" barreled revolver, 710 Ft/lbs out of a 4" barreled revolver, and a lowly 563 ft/lbs out of a measly 1 7/8" barreled revolver. The last one being so low that it's hardly worth noting but it does produce over TWICE the energy of most .38 +P rounds.

Those numbers seem pretty impressive and one would wonder why then carry the .45ACP 1911 over say a nice 686? Most gun fights are three rounds, three seconds, at three yards. If you need to reload your magnum- I've found moonclips to be pretty fast with enough practice. Now I'm looking at some of the offerings from Smith for a Lightweight carry magnum with a feasible barrel lengths and full length extractor as there really isn't much in that offering. I would in all honesty rather carry a lightweight full size revolver over a 1911. I do have a 586 L Comp and a 686+ but both are a little heavy.

C77