View Single Post

Old 10-13-2011, 10:17 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

What I figured would be the ultimate carry would be a 7 shot, L Frame, Scandium with a 4" barrel, full length extractor rod and cut for moon clips. The steel/stainless guns in similar size (I have two) are great for house duty or run around in the car duty but not everyday carry. I don't mind packing a large frame pistol or revolver except during the summer. The shorter length barreled revolvers generally are more difficult to reload quickly given the shorter extractor rod and ballistically don't offer that much more over a much easier to reload small framed auto using +P's. Be it say an MP360 versus a Kahr PM9 etc.

My main carry for now seems to be a Wiley Clapp commander with extra power springs and some hot loaded 185gr. A decent compromise of lightweight, capacity, and power. However I would feel much more confident with a wheel gun in .357 given the slightly flatter shooting capability and better accuracy. Again, seeking one if offered with a little additional capacity over a standard six, alloy lightweight L-Frame, and full length extractor rod, most importantly- a barrel length over 3" to get the full potential of the round. The TRR8 is an impressive piece but a little large for carry as is the older version of the MPR8. The mountlight 386SC was a great design but the extractor is to short for fast reloads and with a titanium cylinder- limited in my estimation. Same as the limits on the Night Guard series that would have had real potential but they dropped the ball with the shorty barrels and extractors. Maybe we can expect something in the coming years; mid L frame lightweight alloy "high capacity" revolver with a true combat length barrel. Maybe a NightGuard with an SSR barrel?

C77