View Single Post

Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbb View Post
As much as common folk using common sense is a good thing, I would caution everyone from drawing too many conclusions from that pdf. First of all, it was very poorly written, it was just hodge-podge of repetitive information. I'm not a medical examiner nor a cop, so I don't have that kind of experience to pull from, but the problem with talking to someone like a medical examiner about bullet performance is that his sample is pretty skewed--he only sees the dead guys. He lacks any sort of balanced overview of victims of gunshot wounds. Also, the callous attitude on display by someone in the "medical" profession is pretty atrocious, too, which makes me question his objectivity. He reminds me of all the medical examiners who despise motorcycles because they are such death machines, all the while missing the fact that millions of people ride motorcycles without getting killed on them and he just never sees those examples.

So whatever. Hollowpoints or hardball, or whatever. There's nothing scientific there, it's all anectdotal. Interesting, but not really that useful.

I disagree, ballistics gelatin only shows one side of the equation- depth and expansion. However it doesn't factor in that it takes solid mass to break bones- which is what he is pointing out. JHP's form nice little stars in gelatin, which is a selling feature because we've been told that is a feature that causes someone to bleed quickly. However it can also take a while for someone to bleed out, which is why he is stating that breaking bones; hits to the femur, hips, spine will stop a fight much faster than a gut shot that fragmented but failed to break the spine. Anyway, I wouldn't feel undergunned with either a magnum revolver or an auto in either caliber.