Thread: Orchids
View Single Post

Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

I just do my best not to kill them. I'm not real good at it. We've got 4 of the plants, and none are currently blooming. The one the cats use as a salad bar is up high to keep it alive. I think its doing OK because its got a bunch of new shoots of leaves all coming out of the base. I'm guessing that will become the source of new flowers soon.

Another one on a board has never bloomed in the couple of years we've had it. It will probably die of old age without ever doing anything.

The two in the dining room aren't a flavor the cats like. Its good for them or they'd be dead. It'd be nice if one of them threw out a branch full of flowers. It might make me feel a little more kindly toward them. As it is, I'm leaning toward tossing both in the trash can one of these days. One was blooming when we got it, but hasn't since. The other actually bloomed twice over the last year and a half. These things upset me just a bit. Flowers are supposed to bloom and be pretty. Its their only function in life.

What I'd really like are a few nice 6" long vanilla pods. Guessing thats asking too much.