Thread: Skunks!
View Single Post

Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 AM

Liked 33,980 Times in 3,679 Posts

I shoot skunks around here all the time. Seems no matter how many I kill I never get to the eradication point. Old timers tell me if I'd get a cat I could solve my skunk infestation, only I detest cats as much as skunks.

I've found two ways to take out skunks without the dreaded death spray. One way is to shoot them in the head with a .410 full choke from about 10 to 15 yards. Seems if you use a larger shotgun you risk blowing them apart and punchering the scent sack. The downside is it's sometimes challenging to get this close without exciting them.

My current method is also not without risk as well, but I've had very good success at night. I have a S&W 15-22 with a 5mW green laser. I use a flashlight to locate the striped offender and once located I use the laser to pin point it's location and focus in on the head. Once I get a eye reflection from the laser I pull the trigger. So far I've had 100% success from these kills, but it's not always easy to get the reflection if they're moving very fast or if they're not facing you.