View Single Post

Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 PM

Liked 3,829 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
Years ago, back in the 70's Mag-na-Port did a conversion on the Charter arms Bulldog called the "Backpacker". This was a shortened barrel, bobbed hammer, trigger job, dull SS type finish etc. and I always thought it was a great idea for a belly gun...
Just recently picked up a Charter Arms/Mag-na-port "Backpacker" Bulldog, #128 of 250. Great little gun, slick action, handles well, the porting really tames the recoil. It's pretty much in as new condition (the hard chrome finish has held up very well), even came with the original "Mag-na-port" embossed leather gun rug.
*New pics with a set of Charter Arms new boot grips, not so good for recoil but much better for concealment (they also weigh2.5oz less than the Pachmayrs). This is a terrific carry and back up gun.

It's amazing how small it is, barely bigger than a j-frame-

I also picked up this Mag-na-port custom M29. It started life as a "Bounty Hunter" but has been worked over - ports, action, muzzle crown, etc, etc - also it has a K/L round butt grip frame, don't know if it came from the factory that way or if Mag-na-port did it. It's a great shooting gun but the green "gun kote" finsh is horrible. I'm not sure what I'm going to refinish it in but the green is going to go.
* New pics of this one, too. The grips are old beater Jay Scotts that are going to get some reshaping and be refinished darker. Still love the way the gun shoots, handles, and carries but the green is not growing on me. I've decided that's going to get a treatment similar to my 586 L-Comp - cylinder cut for moonclips, front edge of the cylinder beveled, the whole gun bead blasted clean and then parkerized. I'll top it off with C&S Extreme Duty fixed rear sight and a brass bead front. Then it'll be good to go and I won't be embarrassed to be seen carrying it.

Last edited by WC145; 10-30-2011 at 01:54 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: