View Single Post

Old 10-23-2011, 06:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default BSA RD30 Red Dot on my 22A-1

Hi All:

Please note: I am not a gunsmith and am only suggesting that you read what I was able to do for myself at a very reasonable price. If you are not 'handy' or comfortable working on your pistol take your gun and the scope to a gunsmith.

There have been several posts here and elsewhere regarding mounting the BSA RD30 Red Dot illuminated scope on the S&W 22A-1. Yes, it can be done fairly easily, in about 35 minutes total, and fairly inexpensively, $25.00 for the needed equipment. I first thought about simply using a precision small round file and cutting a groove in the rail manually until I priced those files: Aro $38.00 to $65.00, so I looked for an alternative method and came up with this. I did this project Friday evening and took the gun out Saturday to test. It worked fine and turned out looking exactly as it should.

Here are the pics and instructions:

Additional Parts/equipment needed

1. Small triangle file about the size of a Number 2 pencil. (Had one, so price unknown.)
2. The Dremel Model 7300 cordless two speed rotary tool or equivelent. The Dremel sells for about $19.88 at Walmart.
3. A set (2) of Dremel Chain saw sharpening tools, $4.50 at Walmart. The beauty of these and the reason I knew this would work, is they are exactly the same (at half-circle) size as the existing grooves in the rear of the rail.

1. Make sure the gun is Unloaded!
2. Remove the barrel from the pistol.
3. Place the barrel in a small vise and use a small towel or similar material so the barrel is held securely, but there is no touching of metal to metal.
4. Carefully scribe a straight line with the file at exactly 1 and 3/4 of an inch from the second groove from the front (muzzle end) of the barrel.
5. Use the Dremel saw sharpening stones to cut a groove to exactly the same depth as the existing grooves in the rear of the barrel. It will take both of them to to do this. Use a cutting or honing oil so that you don't 'glaze' the stones at the beginning of the cutting.

6. Once the proper depth was achived, I throughly cleaned the rail and barrel with a spray cleaner, and then lightly spray painted the groove area using a good black semi-gloss multipurpose spray paint. I let it dry completely and then assembled the Scope to the gun rail. The 3/8 " part of the adapter goes on the rail, and the 5/8" part fits on the Scope mounts. The small square hole of the adapters is in the rear and the adjustable slots face forward as seen in the pictures.

I would be happy to answer any questions about this procedure. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Closeup Left view (Medium).jpg (34.9 KB, 1368 views)
File Type: jpg Closeup Right view.jpg (55.2 KB, 1190 views)
File Type: jpg Dremel Cordless #7300 w Chainsaw Sharpener.jpg (25.8 KB, 1006 views)
File Type: jpg S&W 22A-1-LSide view.jpg (26.4 KB, 1286 views)
File Type: jpg S&W 22A-1-Rside view.jpg (30.3 KB, 1386 views)

Last edited by Rob7937; 10-23-2011 at 07:02 PM.