View Single Post

Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Liked 254 Times in 84 Posts

A couple more items of interest.

1. Some "stores" will give you a discount if you have a C&R license, such as Brownells and MidwayUSA.

World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells
Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA

This discount more than pays for my license.

2. Both internet auction sites and many sales sites have C&R categories. You can browse the entire listing or narrow your search by types, i.e. "Colt", "pre 64 Winchester", "model 19". or maximum price, etc.

Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com
Guns - Gun Auction & Guns For Sale at AuctionArms.com
Guns for Sale, Gun Classifieds, Gun Auctions, Shop for Guns at GunsAmerica
Guns International, Used Guns For Sale Online, Antique Guns, Collectible Firearms

Now, my favorite reasons for having a C&R license.

Birthday guns.
I was born in 1952. I purchased, with my license, a 1952 model 70 Winchester, Featherweight, 308.
Turns out that 1952 was the first year that Winchester produced the Featherweight as well as the first year chambering the 308.
I had a nice stock put on it. My favorite rifle.

I also found a couple model 94 Winchesters made in 1952 and a Marlin 336 also made in 1952. They will go to my grandsons.

My father served in Europe during WWII. Every night before bedtime he would tell me stories about the places, people, airplanes, booby traps, guns, and a jackrabbit he killed and gave to a starving German family.
He passed away when I was 13.

I found a Colt WWII Pacific Commemorative (that had been shot) for a very reasonable price. It took a a couple years of searching to find the matching European Commemorative (in the same condition and price). Again, they will go to the grandsons.

Sorry about running so long. I'll shut up, wipe the tear from my eye and find something else to do.