View Single Post

Old 10-25-2011, 03:48 PM

Liked 2,358 Times in 1,117 Posts

dwever, I am trying to get you to tell me about any possible situation where a licensed carrying individual can become any safer because he told you he has a permit.

The fact that you are told someone has a permit does NOT make the situation safer.

In my humble opinion, and I'm really going to catch some hell for saying this, what it does is satisfy the need that some LEO's have to prove they are better than the public. They think they have the RIGHT to know, so THEY can decide what to do to make the situation safe.

Well the citizen in that car has decided he wants to make himself safer and has taken steps to do so, he probably doesn't want some cop flying off the handle or getting jumpy just because he has a .38 stuffed under the seat.

I can tell you dwever, and I'm not picking on you specifically - you just happen to be handy here - I see a LOT of citizen videos where cops fly off the handle and create a dangerous situation when they find out someone has a gun, even when that gun is legally carried.

So I have some questions.
1. How could knowing someone is legally carrying a weapon make a routine stop safer than if the officer never knew it was there? It never shows, never comes out, never is a factor.
2. Do you ask before you take someone out of a car if they have any weapons?
3. Do you think card carrying gun possessors are more dangerous than the general public? Is that why you want to know if someone has a card? (I think statistics prove the opposite. )
4. If someone is stopped for a minor infraction and they are calm with hands on the wheel and they are just normal good people, when that person tells you they have a permit and are carrying just what do you do differently?

I know around here every cop approaches with his hand on his weapon, stays behind the car door, asks if there are any weapons in the vehicle, and takes all the precautions any smart cop will take... And we don't even have permits in Wisconsin! I would think in the other 48 states, cops would be more likely to expect a weapon in a vehicle or on a person.

So maybe I am wrong, but considering there are good guys and bad guys, and either can be packing, only one of those would tell you they have a gun. And that one is NOT the one you need to worry about.