View Single Post

Old 10-26-2011, 03:54 AM

Liked 1,460 Times in 644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwever View Post
You say, "This attitude that a cop is in danger because a permitted person is carrying a gun is ridiculous." I DON'T KNOW YOU'RE PERMITTED, THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!!! Your giving me an attitude based on information I don't have?

If you've not said a word to me or presented credentials, fine, that is your right as Martya calmly points out. But then if I detect your weapon, you are forcing me into temporarily treating you like a threat until I figure out what's going on when you could of easily just disclosed at the start.

I want to cooperate and uphold your rights and laws. At the same time, you must appreciate that if you have kept me in the dark, which you can legally do, I must operate out of what you have not told me, which I can legally do, and it is unreasonable by you to expect me to treat you as a permit holder if you've never disclosed you have a permit! There's no crystal ball on my duty belt.

If you don't want to tell me fine. Just don't flip out on me or flame me on forums when I try not to become one of the 57,000 plus officers who are assaulted annually.*

Anyway, bear in mind, this is a situation for both of us where different rights come into contact. Your right to bear arms and conceal and not disclose (which I will defend by the way). And my right to reasonably protect my safety and other's. So, through legislation and years of case-law, officer's boundaries are fairly well defined and established, and we are trained every year on what those laws mean as a matter of conduct regarding our actions on the streets, so we don't compromise your rights or take unreasonable risk to our safety.

*In 2009, the FBI reports that 57,268 officers were assaulted while performing their duties. This number obviously includes all attacks, not just those with firearms. Officers Assaulted - Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted, 2009
Couldn't you have asked from the start? If it's so important, from an officer safety standpoint, why not ask if they have a carry permit when you ask for their DL, Reg. and insurance? Would save alot of this arguing.