View Single Post

Old 10-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Liked 3,385 Times in 1,107 Posts

Will attempt to answer all the questions and "respond" to comments.

Bear with me...

First, when I was working as a LEO and identified a person carrying a "concealed" weapon whilst interacting with that person I absolutely treated him/her as a suspect. Why he/she didn't want me to know he/she was carrying always roused my suspicions, and they always found themselves at gunpoint and usually proned out/handcuffed. They absolutely knew I was a LEO conducting official business thus my suspcicion when I saw they were armed.

When a person advised me up front they were carrying I always asked for their permit/credentials. Though I was a bit cautious that never escalated to drawing my gun except when the person then "admitted" they weren't carrying lawfully. Yes, that happened on myriad occasions...both scenarios.

Yes, I scoped out many a gun...both those carried lawfully and those carried illegally. There are, indeed, "tells." (And given the fact that many leave a gun laying on the seat, under the seat, etc., it's not hard to find them.)

Twice in the last year I have interacted with on-duty LEO's, and I advised them I was carrying. Their reactions were as mine depicted above. In neither case was I required to advise. Frankly, I don't expect folks to do something I wouldn't/don't do.

I don't recall ever unloading a gun at the scene...that includes illegally carried guns.

Did I miss anything? Likely some of you won't be happy but simply stating facts.

Be safe.