View Single Post

Old 10-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Liked 2,888 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
The description is full of misrepresentations.

I suppose I'm a little more forgiving of people until they blatantly lie to my face

My guess would be that the seller is confused and/or uneducated about S&W model nomenclature (and maybe guns in general?). I've been collecting for 40 years, but have just recently got interested in antique S&W's and I must say that the factory and collector terminology is confusing to say the least (such as in this case of "models", "issues", and "types").

Did you notice that his other No. 1 Tip-up has the exact same opening sentence in the description as this one and the same serial number? He might have mixed up his two auctions.

While he may have misdescribed it as to model/issue/type, he did accurately state the years of production and the total number made, and he provided an adequate photo for visual identification to anyone who cares to take 30 seconds to research No. 1 S&W's.

I agree his prices are crazy (the other No. 1 is $8,500!!), and he uses puffery in his description of being "rare" etc., but I don't see that as being a crime.

John Gross