View Single Post

Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Liked 15,506 Times in 6,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
Thanks guys! Good info.

Rule3 - I did look at the Hodgdon site before starting this thread. I always go to the powder manufacturer first; however, I always want at least two published sources if at all possible. Also that data is using a magnum primer as you pointed out.

I broadened my search and Google found a post here that I didn't find (?)
Shows Winchester data from 2003 - post #9:
.357 Reloading data needed

That shows a maximum charge of 6.7 grains! It's also going 1,275 fps which is well over the limit for swaged lead bullets (somewhere between 950 and 1,100). Don't worry - I'm not going to try that load.

Looks like starting my ladder at 4.5 grains and working up is the way to go for now.

P.S. I don't know why I got better results from this site using Google search than this forum's search.
Speer manual lists 4.5 to 5.0 grs of HP 38 for the lead 158 gr.

Glad you checked the Hodgdon web site. Did not know you had done so.

There is always those that push things to the limit so you are wise to check several sources. Don't rely on some junk you find posted on the internet. It way work, but WHY bother?? If you want true Magnum loads then use a different powder (slower) That's why they make them.

The 5.0 grs of HP 38 in a 357 will be a fine target load. If you load HP 38 too low, it gets smoky and dirty.

Have fun, be safe.