View Single Post

Old 11-05-2011, 11:16 AM

Liked 42 Times in 16 Posts

Not long after IDPA shooting came about, I found a club within driving distance and decided to give it a try.

I enjoy both my S&W's and my 1911's. So I would take both, a Model 19 and a 1911 .45 ACP that was slightly customized.

The club (like most are) was a friendly group and after my first few trys at IDPA, I decided I wanted to try something. I asked if it were okay if I shot both my 1911 and my S&W 19? I would have to change out rigs between shooters to keep up. As long as I did so safely there wasn't any problem with anyone objecting to it. So I paid up two entry fee's and away I'd go.

At the end of a year (we shot once a month), I tallied up how well I fared. It was by a small margin, but I proved to be better with my revolver than my 1911. I was more likely to hit faster and had less misses with my revolver. My reload times weren't anything to be concerned about.

That being said, I feel perfectly fine with my revolver. The only exception I make are those rare times I may travel into known high crime areas.

And a 2nd factor comes into play where I live, it's a very rural area. No one picks when and where the time comes when they have to defend themselfs with a firearm. 99% of the time I drive a pickup truck. So keeping a long gun available isn't a problem. In Oklahoma if you have a concealed carry permit, you are allowed to have a magazine loaded long gun in the vehicle. As long as it isn't chambered you're fine. So it isn't uncommon to have friends who carry shotguns or AR's loaded and just need chambering.

All in all? I'm comfortable with my revolver and a speedloader. I know I have just a slight edge over my performance with a 1911. Then there are those days I just enjoy carring ole' slab sides with me.

Thanks,

Murphy2000

Last edited by Murphy2000; 11-05-2011 at 11:19 AM.