View Single Post

Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Liked 331 Times in 221 Posts

I live in a pretty low crime area in rural Missouri. I carry because I can, more than I do because I have a real need to. I switch around my carry guns quite a bit. Today I will be in a place where I will need to be dressed up, and also I will have my coat off, and with me. The 638 will be carried in a jacket pocket.
This afternoon I will be checking a tree stand before deer season, and I will probably have my 4" S&W 64 on.

I was a Reserve Deputy for 15 years. I carried a 610 revolver most of that time. I had 2 reasons, Power, and the Tex Shoemaker semi breakfront revolver security holster. Most of my gunfights were with deer hit by cars. The 10mm with a tritium front sight was accurate, and had plenty of power to get the job done. I still know highway patrolmen who carry a 357 under the seat just for deer and cattle hit by cars. My bottom line, I have carried revolvers for years, and I like them.

Later on as a Police Chief I would carry an XDm when in uniform at night. I would switch off between my 638 and 1911 for day carry out of uniform.

I carry a revolver most of the time.

Small Guns: So far I have not found a small semi automatic I like better than a 638 or 642.

Larger Guns: I think that you can carry most larger guns ok most of the time, you just have to work out the bugs. I know several younger guys who conceal carry Glocks, M&P's and XD/XDm's just fine. You just need to dress in a manner that will conceal what you are carrying. Most older guys I know carry a 1911. I have been carrying the 310 Night Guard with no issues at all. It is fast becoming a favorite carry gun.

Your figure can also have an impact on what you carry well.

Then we have a big one. As was said numerous times above, most self defense situations happen in a hurry, and close up. You need to carry whatever you carry in a manner that you can get it on target fast and accurate. I try and carry everything just behind my right hip. I like pancake holsters for all my revolvers, and either IWB or an Askins Avenger for my 1911. I want whatever I am carrying to be where I am used to it being. The exception being pocket carry.

Spare ammo. I think this is a very good idea. I have a 5 round speed strip in my left front pocket at the moment. I have 2 in my jacket in pockets I had sewn in for the purpose.

As I switch around between a 638, 310 Night Guard, 625 3" , 64 4" and 610 4" I carry spare ammo differently. I carry 45 and 10mm moon clips in 2 shoot the moon carriers infront of my holster. In jacket weather I will carry a couple Comp I speed loaders in a jacket pocket for the 638 and 64. In warm weather the 38's will have spare ammo in a speed strip. You need to practice reloading with whatever you are using. Doing your first tactical reload while being shot at in a 7-11 is not a wise plan.

For semi auto's I wear either a single or double magazine pouch on my left hip.

I may start carrying my XDm concealed some this Winter just to try and get the bugs out of carrying a big, wide body gun. A good well researched holster may be the answer. Losing a few pounds to put a little more slack in the pants waist band would probably not hurt either.

As was said above carry what works best for you, and your situation. Carry it in a manner that you can get it into play if the situation ever should come up.

Bob

Last edited by BobR1; 11-06-2011 at 09:48 PM.