View Single Post

Old 11-06-2011, 05:04 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,261 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbm6893 View Post
I've never seen a problem with mag disconnects either. But some will insist you are at a substantial risk if you choose to own a gun with this proven life saving feature. Many of those are the same ones who think you're gonna be fighting for your life in a supermarket after 2 bad guys have shot one person and are intent on taking you hostage and you're 'only" carrying a revolver.
Well, maybe I'm ignorant (I've encountered more than a few people and a mother-in-law in my life that seem to agree) but I don't see what that matters for the average civilian. I am not SWAT trained, nor was I ever a SEAL or Ranger, or anything like that...my firing experience has been at the range or out in the country, plinking at cans, etc. So, if I am in the situation you describe above, I am certain to be scared. If there is shooting, I will almost certainly be shooting to slide lock (or if I have a revolver, until it goes "click" instead of "bang") without counting my shots. Once the slide locks back, I hope my impulse is to drop the magazine, insert a new one, sling shot the slide, and keep firing. If I am carrying a revolver, and if I have either a speed loader, or speed strips, I'd have to open the cylinder, dump the fired rounds, and then reload the cylinder. (This is why I favor a pistol for carry over a revolver...a pistol reloads faster and easier for the average person.)

I just don't see how a magazine disconnect makes a difference...I can see it if you want to fire a pistol without a magazine in it, but I don't see me firing one and reloading it simultaneously.