View Single Post

Old 11-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Liked 5,390 Times in 2,715 Posts

Ah geez, I should know better but.......

The 3 shot/3 seconds/3 feet thing is bull. I've never been aware of any disinterested third party who calls time out, marks the relative positions, whips out a stop watch and then calls time in. Looking at the stats for LEOs, the average shooting requires 3.5-4.7 rounds and the average gunfight (bullets going both ways) runs 6.2 (or so) to 11+ rounds. There are NO STATS for non LEO shootings.

I've been carrying firearms for a paycheck since 1969. Short version:

While revolvers tolerate neglect, they don't tolerate abuse and when they do malfunction, about the only effective immediate action drill is to find another gun. Squib loads, cratered primers and crud under the extractor can lock the gun up, broken firing pins turn them into clubs.

Semis tolerate abuse and really nasty conditions better and generally hold more ammo and are faster to reload than revolvers. They do require more training, so that immediate action drills for stoppages become reflexive and more periodic maintenance but if fed quality ammo from quality magazines and properly maintained are at least as reliable as revolvers.

The big difference seen is in hit probability. Again, going by LEO stats, the round gun generally ran around 20% hit probability nationwide. This went up to mid 60% when agencies started using semis.

Make the choice on what works best for you in your environment.