View Single Post

Old 11-06-2011, 06:27 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,585 Times in 2,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrduke2010 View Post
I think this ranks as one of the most controversial subjects in gun safety.
Nope. When it comes to "gun safety," there is only one right answer, and it is obvious even just from the rest of your post.
Quote:
Each has it advantages and disadvantages. The revolver advantage is that you don't get confused by the safety in an emergency, there is a lot less chance of it jamming, and you can just point and shoot. There is a lot less risk of it firing if dropped although automatics now have a safety for that. The one big drawback is the rounds that are available which is often a lot less than in an automatic in a lot of cases.

The automatic has a lot larger round capacity, it is easier to reload with magazines, it has a safety to help protect the shooter with hammer drop, and it can be a lot more compact and flatter than a revolver. The big drawbacks are a load jamming in the chamber possible making your weapon unusable, the possibility of it going off it is dropped unless your pistol has safeties for this which many of the new weapons have, and in an emergency situation less advanced shooters can forget, in a high pressure situation, to load the chamber or take off the safety. This can make these people more vulnerable to attack.
As to which is better overall, that depends on at least several variables, some of which are personal qualities, some circumstances, some other. I trust each individual to be more likely than I to assess his own characteristics and circumstances correctly, thus I am not very quick to make pronouncements regarding what choices strangers or even acquaintances should make. I might even go so far as to recommend the same attitude to others.