View Single Post

Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 AM

Liked 15,506 Times in 6,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
I use the Lee book for data from time to time and I still think it is the worst one as far as "best data". I'm not big on their view of "lead bullet" vs. "jacketed bullet" data. I find that this data almost never gives you a seating depth for the crimp groove to be used and sometimes just seems really far off. I get the feeling that this wild seating depth issue they have is the reason they seem to have their auto disk loads dropping pretty light loads. I could just be making this up, but they do give pretty light loads.
The Lee "loads" are not from Lee at all. They are compiled from other known sources as they were tested by the powder company, bullet maker or whatever at some time in the past.So it is not their data that is "light"
It's nice to have them all in one place for comparison. They do not list OAL but do list Min length to avoid people seating to deep and causing problems.

The auto disc cavities are just holes of certain volume, they hold what they hold. Different powder lots will vary by lot, humidity etc. The "chart" for the discs or dippers is what they got at the time and lot used, some are pretty close other are way off.

Seating depth is best determined by testing in the barrel and adjusting powder charges if needed.

I have yet to find a seating depth or OAL for a lead round nose 9mm bullet that will chamber in my CZ's or Browning HP. They need to be seated much shorter due to the short leade in the barrel.

As I mentioned previously, all the manuals have something of use. Take what you can use or want and disregard the rest. I use 2-3 plus the powder company before arriving at loading something the first few times.