View Single Post

Old 11-08-2011, 04:09 PM

Liked 609 Times in 246 Posts

I like the Lee, because I find it to be the most comprehensive, & because they list powders in order of most likely accuracy.

Some cartridges like 45-70, are broken down into multiple levels, such as old time, Marlin 1895, & Ruger No.1.

They also list a fair amount of applicable cast bullet data.

I load a lot of Nosler rifle bullets, & find that their manual can be helpful - but not the last word. Their 5th, does not even list the best to date (IMHO) bughole accuracy powder, RL-22, for 25-06. Had to go back to Lee, for that one.

Lyman always gets a look, but I always compare their data to Lee (& others) - for starters.

W/ regards to COL, conventional wisdom for rifle loads, is "close to the lands". I've found that the ammo manufacturers have done a good bit of the work for us - w/ their "premium" ammo lines. Federal Gold Match 308, & WW Supreme are good examples. The 25-06, WW Supreme (Nosler 117CT) shoots well in a variety of rifles. Couldn't tell you what powder they use, but I "stole" their COL of 3.185" (way off the lands), & use it for Nosler 100BT, 115BT, & the older 120SB.

If I ever break down & buy a couple of boxes of their .257" 110AB, 3.185" will be my starting point. I'd be willing to bet lunch that in the end, it will be the magic number for that Nosler bullet too.

There is no "last word" for loading data. Too many variables. As always, no matter who's data, the best policy is to start low / work up slow, think things through FIRST, & pay very close attention to the details...

Now, let's go burn some powder!