View Single Post

Old 11-10-2011, 04:38 PM

Liked 15,514 Times in 6,800 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith crazy View Post
Nope, the two are not the same thing, not even close UNLESS you are talking about the same, exact bullet.

Same weight bullets can be VERY different in length.

These two bullets are the same weight and have the same "type" of nose. With the same OAL, which is going to have the deeper seating depth?

Okay, say you build your load with the shorter bullet, the one that gives you less in the case and your load is a "real" maximum (not one from a book). Say you seat to the same OAL but use the longer bullet AND your thought process is "Aren't they the same".

You are flirting with a problem friend and someone that is loading ammunition, needs to understand the difference.

FWIW
Well since the "Maximum seating" depth is not published anywhere that I know of (this is all for naught) and we are talking about the Lee published loads which do not list a specific bullet in many cases, then you do not want to go shorter than their published min OAL.

In the Lee data only the bullet weight is listed other than a few XTP's. The Min OAL is shown to change based on the powder.

In your two bullets shown, not knowing or even knowing what bullet it is (say one is Berry and one is Rainer) show me where the data for those exact bullet is???

As I mentioned, look at Hodgdons 45 ACP 230 gr. It just says 230gr bullet either FMJ FP or Lead RN and they are ALL 1.200, regardless of powder.

Now, are all those bullets the same length??????????