View Single Post

Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

I think the revolver has a slight edge when it comes to a beginner's first gun like many others have posted, but I think the best choice is the one the beginner likes. I believe that if beginners choose a gun that they like and enjoy handling the more likely they are to practice with it.

For example, I owned a Glock 23 for a few years and managed to put around 400 rounds through it before I sold it. On the other hand, I've had my 642 for about 10 months and I've put over 1k rounds through it in that time. I just enjoy the revolver more. Someone else may enjoy the semi-auto more.

I think the most important concerns are choosing a good quality gun in a reasonable caliber (.500 Magnum is probably not a good choice for a beginner) and how well the beginner can manipulate the gun (i.e., revolver DA trigger pulls may be diffcult for some but they can rack the slide of a semi-auto with much less difficulty, or vice versa). Getting some good, basic training and being able to try a variety of guns is the best way to work this out, IMO.