Thread: Trimming 9mm?
View Single Post

Old 11-11-2011, 11:36 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Black View Post
HA! That would have been funny

OK, part 2 of newbie lessons. What exactly is the process of case prep for a standard 9mm brass cartridge? By standard I mean nothing fancy will be done with the ammo I shoot. I basically buy the cheapest ammo on sale, and consistantly shoot from 10-15yrds, no further. Its only paper targets I shoot, no competition loads needed, just plinkers.

My question basically is, what do I do after I tumble my 9mm brass to get them ready to reload. I was looking at this machine here:

Cabela's: Lyman Case-Prep Xpress

Are these tools used to prep 9mm brass, or is this machine typically used for rifle brass prep? Basically what Im looking for is a retards book for a step x step process on 9mm case prep. For example,

Step 1: Find your brass
Step 2: Clean, tumble the brass
Step 3:
Step 4:
Step 5: At this point my brass will be ready to go thru the reload press and become a 9mm round.

So in a nutshell, what am i missing between steps 2-5.

Im really not very versed in the reloading vocab yet, so truly sorry if most of you are now shaking your heads saying *** is this guy talking about
You are right, that machine os more for bottle neck rifle brass. You really only need to clean handgun brass in some way & then reload. Inspect the cases prior to reloading to make sure there are no cracked brass or if range pickups, no Berdan primed or crimped primers or obviously abused handloads (Glock guppy brass). It's really not more complicated than that.