View Single Post

Old 11-12-2011, 01:13 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Semi autos are great and they are fine for a new shooter IF the shooter is going to dedicate time and money to learning how to handle the gun. Too many people walk into a store, buy a semi auto (very often a Glock. Don't get me started on that choice for a new shooter), fire a box or two (if that) and put it in the sock drawer. Semi autos require more general maintenance to keep running reliably, and TOO MANY people forget the gun is still loaded if you take the mag out. A good friend of mine left his XD with the mag out and a round chambered for over 2 years, thinking if his daughter found it (in his sock drawer), that it was unloaded. I know for a fact that when we transistioned rom revolvers to semi autos, there were WAY more ND's reported (and God knows how many weren't reported), and these are from cops who have at least had a rudimentary training session.

Yeah, yeah. I know. :"Learn how to handle a gun" and "my safety is between my ears". Unfortunately, many people are totally incompetent with guns, and a revolver is more forgiving of mishandling.

Last edited by kbm6893; 11-12-2011 at 01:36 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: