Thread: Trimming 9mm?
View Single Post

Old 11-13-2011, 01:10 AM

Liked 456 Times in 205 Posts

It's true that pistol cases can occasionally be too long. This typically happens (in my experience) if the cases were not at a proper trim length to begin with. For brass that is my own, i.e. I processed it initially or after picking it up at the range, I don't worry about length any more. For brass that comes to me from an unknown source, such as range pickups, I pull a 10% sample and check for length after the first sizing at my own bench.

I think this is a good practice for any brass, rifle or pistol. I examine and process range pickups with a fine tooth comb. Once the brass is in my circulation and has gone through my own press a time or two, I don't worry as much.

One note here that is somewhat on topic. If you do pick up brass at the range, looks for signs of handloads. If a handloader dumps brass in a range bucket, there's almost certainly a reason for it. Possibly they know they've loaded it too many times and are discarding it. This is not good brass to bring into your reloading room. A good sign is a wrong color primer. i.e., a gold colored Winchester primer in a Federal case. That is certainly a handload, and if a handloader dumped a whole box worth of it in a brass bucket, leave it alone. When you see someone shooting factory ammo, and take their cases when they are done, that is the best once fired brass you can ask for. No question as to its origins.