View Single Post

Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 AM

Liked 1,003 Times in 349 Posts

A beginner should not be carrying. Period. S/he should be training in order to come to a place of mind-set and proficiency that carrying is prudent for the gun owner, their family, and the public.

If I were buying my adult daughter a defensive weapon, I'd probably get her a Glock Model 19, and spend at least four times that on training. If I were buying my son in the Army a defensive weapon, probably a Glock Model 21 given his existing and extensive training (a Wilson 1911 CQB Elite if money were no object), unless he wanted to take the time to be proficient in Double Action with a revolver, then it'd be a S&W UDR PC 627 (what I carry by the way).

Finally, a beginner generally being an adult must take safe gun storage in to account. How do you absolutely deny access to people/children who should never be around your weapon unsupervised. In my case, I had my master closet door and door frame replaced with steel and solid wood, along with a kick plate and electronic dead bolt lock - that or other solutions such as a high end car safe bolted down in your trunk should be part of your gun budget. Depending on the study you read, weapons purchased for personal defense are around four hundred percent more likely to be used accidentally against another family member (e.g. confusing a family member with an intruder) than to be used in personal defense; and, seven hundred percent more likely to be used in a crime (for various reasons). Anyway, the point is be careful, intentional, and train extensively.

Last edited by dwever; 11-13-2011 at 11:25 AM.