View Single Post

Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 AM

Liked 993 Times in 378 Posts

The Wilson 47D magazine kinda give up on the whole "controlled round feeding" concept. Some folks swear by 'em. Others curse 'em. The issues you are having are the perfect example of when the Wilson's don't work. I have found that the Colt military surplus style magazine gives the most reliable feeding of most any magazine for both ball and most non-rediculus hollow points, even SWC. The McCormick follower can be used reliably with colt surplus magazines if ya need 8 rounds, particularly with ball ammo. if you use ball ammo exclusively, longish parallel lips magazines are perfect. You don't even need to think about tapered lips until you go to hollow points or SWC. NOS colt military magazines (mostly fake) or modern reproductions made by Check-Mate are some of the best for general purpose use. Use the stock flat dimpled floorplate for 7 rounds or the McCormick follower with the Check-Mate magazine if ya need 8. CM45-7-S-H for stainless or CM45-7-B-H for blue. The CheckMate 8 rounders work ok, but I like the McCormak follower better.

One last item, check the extractor for burrs and such. With the slide off, insert a loaded round under the extractor in the approximate battery position and wiggle the slide about. It should take quite severe shaking to dislodge the round.

There are about 101 things that can go wrong with 1911 feeding. Only a small percentage has been discussed here. Although I respect Wilson and their parts, I'd stay away from their magazines.

P.S. If your 1911 is finicky about lube, you've got a problem.

Last edited by Tyrod; 11-15-2011 at 02:44 AM.