View Single Post

Old 11-15-2011, 02:55 AM

Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts

I don't reload but if you use good technique to put together reloads don't use inferior parts or powder according to accepted safe specifications than I think that reloads can be good but still the gun manufacturers can void your warranty if they find evidence of using reloads. Here is the problem many companies make cheap inexpensive reloads with inferior components. These reloads have been found to make a semi auto and/or a carbine type of rifle jam. The powder may be inferior and be insufficient in energy to blow the slide back. Some reloaders like to push the envelopes and use powder that is inappropriate to the load making the round too hot or not hot enough. A poor choice in components and powder can result in dirtier rounds which can gum up your gun or make it malfunction. My thoughts if you are a responsible reloader that uses the proper powder and the proper components than your rounds can be just as good as the factory rounds. Cutting corners with improper or cheap components is another element which I have seen in the industry. It depends on the reloader. Buyer cheaper components, cheaper powder, cutting corners, not loading to recommended specs, etc. can all lead to gun problems, malfunctions, misfires, gun explosions, severe injuries and/or death of the shooter. I have seen the results of poor reloads making guns harder to clean, greater residue buildup, damaging cylinders in revolvers because the loads were made to hot, one cylinder I saw had a hole between the chamber and the outside of the cylinder from a round that was too hot, etc. I think reloads can be made well but it depends on the person making them on how ethical and responsible they want to be. Reloading is an area where you've got to be very careful about pushing the envelope and making rounds improperly. The results of making them improperly can be serious for the person that uses that ammunition.

Last edited by sirrduke2010; 11-15-2011 at 10:15 PM.