Thread: Beaver Hunting
View Single Post

Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Liked 3,829 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflatfoot View Post
If you shoot them, they sink like a rock.
That's exactly right, go figure.
A few years back I handled a beaver complaint for one of the game wardens that was off in the willywags. Seems a city slicker from away had bought a summer place and called in about a beaver in his stream acting strangely. So the warden asked me to check it out and if it was indeed acting unbeaver-like to dispatch it. So I go out there and sure enough this huge beaver isn't running away from people (let me get within a couple of feet of him when he was on the bank) and when he was in the water he was swimming all shaky and odd. So I tell the complainant that I'm going to have to put the beaver down and he wants to know how so I tell him I'm going to shoot it. Then the guy weirds out on me and wants me to live trap it and take it to the vet to be put to sleep. I tell him that isn't happening and that he should go in the house so I can work. He leaves and I wait for the beaver to float by close enough for a head shot and BAM!! And I'll be damned if that thing didn't sink straight to the bottom like the Titanic, never saw anything like it. Luckily I had a catch pole in the truck and was able to reach a foot and drag him out so I could dispose of him.

One piece of advise, don't put them in your vehicle if you can help it because they reek. It took a jug of clorox and a bottle of pinesol to clean the stench out of my pick up bed and I swear if you stood in the right spot you could still get a wiff of that beaver when I sold the truck two years later.