View Single Post

Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 AM

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

Well there is what's possible and there's what's practical. My N frame 625 USPSA/ICORE competition gun has a DA trigger pull just south of 7lbs. In order to get this light everything has to be smooth as glass, Federal primers have to be hand seated and the really big caveat is you have to drastically reduce the weight of the hammer. My hammer weighed 497 grains before I started cutting on it. It now weighs about 279 grains. 6.5lbs on a DA pull is possible on an N frame but it's running on the ragged edge and only works with Federal primers. I like to keep my K frames around 7.5 to 8lbs because I cant bring myself to radically bob the old forged hammers that are in them.

I have a number of S&W revolvers spanning from about 1965 to present and I've yet to find one that needed the SA sear messed with. Every one I've ever dealt with were about perfect as is and lightening up the spring a touch just makes them as light as they ought to be. Any lighter and I wouldn't feel comfortable using it. My 686 no dash is a perfect example, it's just scary light and the gun hasn't been touched since it left the factory. DA is horrid on it though.