View Single Post

Old 11-20-2011, 02:34 PM

Liked 6,613 Times in 2,198 Posts

You're welcome.

It's not that the little CS45 has really heavy recoil, but apparently more that S&W felt it had enough more recoil than their other lightweight .45's, that they decided the revision to the magazine body was necessary. I find mine produces more felt recoil than my 4513TSW (an original model with the cutaway grip and 6-rd magazine), but it's not like it's "too much" for an experienced .45 shooter.

As a matter of fact, the change in the CS45 mag body occurred after the guns and mags had already been in early production. The company changed the production of the mags, but they told me they out-sourced the mags that had already been produced to a local machine shop to have the secondary indentations put in them.

The rubber grips can take on a slightly blemished appearance, in much the same way that rubber revolver grips used to become slightly discolored. Nature of the material.

The normal service life of the S&W pivoting extractor seems pretty decent. I've been told that they can become work-hardened over the course of time and use. The guesstimate given to me by one of the company people many years ago was that an extractor might start to chip or the spring become weakened out around 10 years (of use; being left loaded all the time in LE service) or 10,000 rounds. Over the course of helping support about 500 early 3rd gen guns, I noticed that we started seeing some chipped or broken extractors, or weakened extractor springs, out around the 12-15 year point (no telling how many rounds through the "average" issued gun). Many of those older guns were still running with the original extractors & springs when they were finally taken out of service, though, after just about 20 years.

I had one 6906 that developed a chipped extractor after around 12,000 rounds, but that was only what I'd fired through it, and didn't count whatever the gun had seen fired before it had been issued to me. (The extractor was still doing its job, even though chipped, and the gun was extracting normally. I just noticed the condition during an inspection.)

I wouldn't be surprised if the newer production extractors (made since the late 90's) provide longer service than the older ones.

The extractors are considered fitted parts, as they typically have to be filed so fit a particular slide. This requires a set of gauges consisting of a Go/No-Go bar gauge (check extractor hook reach) and a force dial gauge (check the spring tension).

The CS45 & CS9 were dropped from the commercial catalog a few years ago, although like the TSW production, I was told they remained available to LE/Gov agency customers for special order. (The CS40 had been dropped prior to that point due to lack of sales.)

The grips are going to be a personal decision. I recommend shooting the gun before deciding, myself. It was originally explained to me that the reason they originally had Hogue design the stock rubber grips was due to marketing survey indicating customers liked their rubber grips better than the stock Delrin grips, and they felt the soft rubber grips helped absorb and mitigate the increased amount of felt recoil produced by the little guns.

While I don't find the stock Delrin grips to be "bad" on my 3913 & 4513TSW, I've long since switched to Hogues on the 3913, and I modified a set of standard 4516/457 Hogue grips to fit my 4513TSW (since the grip is different than the current production 4513TSW that uses the 7-rd mag). Trying both types back and forth over the years, I've consistently found the rubber grips to provide for less potential slipping & shifting, especially when my hand was really wet or cold. I installed the Hogues on my issued 4513TSW, as well, since they gave me increased control when running the gun through demanding courses-of-fire in cold & wet weather.

Like the days of the rubber revolver grips, though, it can take some adjustment to using them under clothing, since the soft rubber can catch and pull on loose garments. It's all a compromise that really needs to be decided by each owner/user.

The mag butt plates shown in the other photo is that of the older 4513TSW 6-rd mag.

The standard curved butt plate:

The "flat" original TSW butt plate:

Although I've seen several new "old/original" 4513TSW mags shipped in recent years (meaning with the old butt plate), the customer service folks tell me that the butt plate is no longer available as a separate part. Maybe they have just enough to use on assembled mags for a while to come. Dunno. I just switched them on some of my mags because I have a lot of mags for both my old-style 4513TSW and my CS45.

Remember to clean and lubricate the CS45 before your first range trip. Make sure the mag bodies are clean & dry (in case the original owner left the shipping oil to congeal inside the mags). The alloy frames work best when they're protected from friction against the steel. Don't use an excessive amount, though, or allow it to run down inside the firing pin channel (meaning under the manual safety assembly, or up under the plungers in the rear of the slide, or down into the front or rear of the firing pin). It's one thing to have enough on the rails to be able to see and touch it to confirm its presence, but another to have so much that it runs & drips under gravity.

Keep the extractor and its hook dry, but brushed clean.

The "inside" of the frame (fire control parts) doesn't require lubrication (aside from an occasional small drop on each side of the hammer, at the bottom where it rubs inside the frame, but not so much that it will run off the hammer and travel elsewhere). It just collects fouling and can eventually congeal into a sludge that can interfere with freedom of movement of the parts.

Use good quality factory ammunition. I've typically used whatever was being issued for duty, or for training/quals (if it differed). I over the years that has involved using 230gr loads of a variety of makes, including assorted ball (FMJ), Winchester USA45JHP ("white box"), Winchester SXT/T-series, Remington Golden Sabre (non-bonded) and Express JHP, as well as some of the other assorted loads I tried and/or used for off-duty and range practice.

Enjoy the little gun. It's not like they're going to get easier to find.

Last edited by Fastbolt; 11-20-2011 at 02:48 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: