View Single Post

Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 AM

Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts

So here's a "please help the uneducated noob" question I have...any vintage of them not up to hot .357 loads or any particular load?

I'm only asking as I'd prefer to not have a gun that "can't be shot with X load".

Will I shoot it every day with hundreds of hot .357 loads?

No.

However I'd like to have a gun that I can pretty well be certain (except for flukes/act of god/just plain ol' bad luck/whatever) that no matter what hot Buffalo Bore load, Elmer Keith style load, or whatever handload my buddy and I cook up the gun will go BANG and ask for more. Likewise whatever plus P "Self Defense" or Hunting load I pickup at a store be it a 110 grain screamer or a 170 grain thumper the gun will handle it just fine.
Hence why I was originally considering a Ruger or one of the newer S&W's known for their durability. That's their current claim to fame.

In reality it'll spend most of it's time shooting .38, .38 plus P, and regular .357 loads. I just like to have beef and the security of knowing it's got the strength and durability to handle the bigger/hotter stuff.