View Single Post

Old 11-25-2011, 01:12 AM
US Veteran

Liked 17,122 Times in 5,140 Posts

Long story.

About 30 years ago my parents got some land out in the middle of nowhere. The state of Alaska was giving away the land free. All you had to do was stake it out and file some papers.

Little did we know that the cabin we built was just yards from a well used game trail. It was also very close to a slough where king salmon spawned.

The cabin was raided several times by bear until we made some upgrades. We also had to clear the brush out to 50 yards or so to see the bear coming.

The only way to get there is by boat or float plane.

I later went into the military and didn't come back for three years. When I did return to the cabin I saw a brown bear rug on the wall. Estimated at 600 pounds.

My father shot it with a Brenneke 12 ga slug at 30 yards. He tried warning shots to no avail. My mother was at the outhouse and the bear was between the cabin and outhouse.

Not wanting too, my dad shot him.

Slug went through the top of the right shoulder downwards and exited under the left shoulder. The bear fell right where he stood but did not die. Another slug and he was done.

Dad skinned him and put him in the smoke house.

When I was much younger, I saw an old timer with a side by side 10 ga. He only used slugs.

We were camped on a sand bar on a fishing trip. While away fishing a black bear raided our camp. Ate EVEREYTHING and bit holes in the cooler, pots and pans.

Next day we went fishing and the old timer stayed behind. Couple hours later we heard a shot and knew the bear returned. Old timer shot him in the head. The slug exited and there wasn't much left of the bears head.

Slugs work well. The harder the slug the better. But I've also seen 45-70's and 444 Marlin work just as well.

That being said, growing up hunting and fishing in Alaska, we always had a 12 ga close by. It was one of the first firearms I learned how to use other than a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag.