View Single Post

Old 11-25-2011, 06:59 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,174 Times in 156 Posts

Perhaps you as well didn't understand my comment so I will be a bit more clear and concise with it.

I am a trained professional; I get paid to carry a pistol and I have recurring quarterly training in how to deal with certain scenarios.

I can assure you, as others have, that each situation, while similar in appearance, more then likely will be different. Take the knife wielding bad guy: 21 (now maybe 30) feet can be very deadly. You more then likely will be cut; training doctrine teaches us to create space and distance by moving...off-line; there is a whole lot more you can do - especially if your life is on the line but answering "what if scenarios" is not going to help you to survive the situation.

Tragically that knife wielding subject is not going to be 20-30 feet away; more then likely they will be within hand shake range. Then what are you going to do?

The most important thing for anyone is mindset. During 30 years in the military (including armed law enforcement operations) and 8 years as a Federal LEO on the border my number 1 priority is to go home, safe and uninjured at the end of the day; number 2 priority is to do my absolute best to make sure my fellow officers do the same thing...

Hands can kill you; if you ever watch COPS or some other LE reality show notice how the officers control the hands. If I can see your hands I know what you're doing; if I don't control your hands I am inviting disaster.

Here's a disclaimer; call it that if you want; Scenario/What if discussions, arm chair quarterbacking; are nothing more then jousting at windmills ala Don Quioxte...the key is practice, practice, practice...

The best second response to your questions is find a good defensive tactics trainer and train.

The most important thing (oops I forgot to finish) is a proper mind set coupled with training.

Last edited by cwo4uscgret; 11-25-2011 at 11:47 PM.