View Single Post

Old 11-26-2011, 07:22 AM

Liked 336 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrduke2010 View Post
Yes and no. Every scenario where the attacker is closer than 21 feet with a knife outstretch and is charging to attack would be same. At 10 feet before you can get the gun out of the hostler you probably would be dead or have a knife plunged into your chest. The pregnant woman with a knife was a true story and she and her baby died for hitting the panic alarm. The car thief plunged a knife into her stomach area to kill her and the baby.
No disrespect meant here toward anyone. I feel you have been in a bunch of self defense classes listening to people that have never been in such situations telling others how to react. Many of those teaching firearm courses have never worked law enforcement or served in the military. They do not know fiction from reality. Whaat they know best is how to entertain you so you will spend your money listening to their feeble attempt at humor while showing you the basics of shooting.

Those here in law enforcement have questions and scenes posed during training but they are fairly basic situations that officers run into.

Yet as was said, no two situations are identical. In you first hypothetical situation, if you have allowed someone carrying a knife to get that close to you, you are not being observant of your surroundings.

Another thing you are missing is it is always best to take cover when possible before making rush decisions. The decisions we make can cost people their lives or get us killed. Certainly there are times that immediate reaction is required and those decisions often may not have been the best ones.

My question to you: Just how often have you been faced with any of the situations you laid out? Do you know of anyone personally that you can confrim they had such a situation?

Many of us here have had to answer the three man attack situation in class. One man has a knife, one has a shotgun and one has a handgun. Each is at a different distance and position to you. Which do you take out first? However, I have never met anyone that met with this situation in real life. We would more likely be involved in a major motor vehicle accident.

I work in areas most would not go in and do so alone. Today I will be in a drug and crime infested public housing project all by myself talking to a person of interest. This is a fairly routine assignment and in years of doing so, I have had confrontations three times out of hundreds of trips. I put myself in those areas and do not have problems so why would I feel that someone will pick me out of hundreds of people around to attack me with knife. Again, instructors make these situations up to cause you to think they are smart and have been in such situations.