View Single Post

Old 11-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug.38PR View Post
I just grabbed a .357 cartridge, loaded with 6.0 grains ("maximum load" according to Speer manuel...that's not really maximum) behind a Midway 158 gr LSWC and fired it in my 4 inch Python.....I'd swear I was shooting .38 Special. The Speer listed velocity for this load out of a 6 inch Python was 1034 ft per second....I can only imagine how slow it was out of my 4 inch. That is really pathetic loading data.
Doug, what are you looking for? A fast bullet or what?

If you want more UMPHF, go to a slower powder. Any one of the real magnum powders will get you there. Trying to get there with a powder that is too fast is a dangerous way to go. Faster powders take less of it to make pressures rise to unsafe levels.

Find some AA#7 or something in that burn rate area if you aren't wanting full magnum performance. Trying to get there with Unique is, well, dangerous at best, silly at worst.

I'll tell you what I would use, AA#7 or AA#9, 2400 or even H110/W296. If it was in a rifle, I would have no qualms using Lil' Gun either, just not in a handgun. There is the new Alliant powder out too, 300MP. It is supposed to be good for those real magnum type of loads too.

Unique fits a lot of different calibers, there are some that it fits pretty well. For what you are trying to do, it may not fit at all.

FWIW