View Single Post

Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before I make my point, don't forget the BG380 is a hammer fired gun that does not get cocked by the slide, and the M&Ps are striker fired cocked by the slide. So we have to overcome not only trigger springs but the heavy hammer main spring as well. Now to my point....

On this forum you'll find "Bodyguard 380 Bible" which is really great. Take a look. I haven't done the piece by piece polish yet but plan too this winter. What I have done is lighten the spring tension of the firing pin blocker. This tiny spring is about 5lbs. You encounter this spring right at the end of the trigger pull. In a nutshell, a lever operated by the trigger (last 1/16") lifts the blocker out of the way of the firing pin. This 5 additional lbs of resistance along with any friction in the blocker assembly can feel a little gritty and actually move the slide. I took the blocker and firing pin out polished the surfaces where the two meet/rub, and did some light (800 grit) cleaning of the blocker and blocker channel. I then cut the blocker spring in 1/2 and stretched it back to length (don't over stretch it) so it just contacts the cover plate. I can't measure the new strength but it's closer to 1, 1.5 lbs. Plenty to work the blocker and keep it safe. RESULTS? The pull is still long, still hard, but much smoother, especially at the end where accuracy can go to h... in a hand-basket if the slide moves. I've shot several hundred round with this simple mod.

UNFORTUNATELY, the sight has to be removed for this. You have to vise the slide (pad it slightly to prevent marking) with the sight square in the center of the vise and drive it out...I mean DRIVE it out. Don't use a padded hammer, use a real hammer and punch. That sucker is tight. Before putting the sight back in I did some buffing on the dove tail surfaces and now it's still tight but will move if I want it to. Dead center seems to be where S&W tune it in with the front sight. But look before you remove it.

OBTW, this winter, if I can get a new hammer spring from S&W I do plan to lighten it's tension some. I'll post results some place here.

AND, I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANY MODIFICATION. I'm presenting mods to MY BG380 for information only. Have fun....be safe...

Last edited by GeorgeP; 11-28-2011 at 11:01 AM.