View Single Post

Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 PM

Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
Throwing guns away is more common than most people think. I've run across several cases of a widow just tossing her late husband's guns in the garbage simply because she didn't know what else to do with them. She just knew she did not want them in the house. One particularly sad situation I personally know of involved the disposal of 5 Civil War-era revolvers that way.

On that note, I think it's a good point to make to document what you have with a rough value of each gun to give to your spouse so that something similar does not happen. Even though I have been married 45 years, my wife knows very little about, and has even less interest in, the numerous guns I have. I have tried to educate her to relatively little avail, but at least she knows about what they are worth, and won't throw them away.
My best pawn shop buy happened with a lady wanting to unload her husband's shotgun. The pawn shop didn't want to take another shotgun into stock and turned her away without even looking at what she had. I figured I would give her twenty bucks for an old single shot. I gave her the (I think) $120 in my wallet for this:

I tried telling her I could go to an ATM and get more but she just wanted "The evil thing out of her house and be done with it" or something very similar. And then she strutted back to her car and left it with me. I took it home and made it my treasure ever since.

Did I mention it came with the case, extra barrel, and all the papers? Even the warranty card???

Last edited by Maximumbob54; 11-30-2011 at 07:15 AM.