View Single Post

Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 AM

Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman86 View Post
I have a 3" blued half lug GP100 and I love it, but I got it for more of the "cool factor" than for actual use as a carry gun. I agree, a 3" 686 would be just as good for carry.

For carry, a 6-shot .357 like a 2.5" 19 or 66, or a 3" 65 or 13 will do the job just fine. The 3" GP100 feels more like a short barreled holster gun to me, than something made for CC. Still, when I get the funds a 3" stainless GP is high on my list, although I have had the nagging urge for a 3" 686.

FYI the last 66's made,with the 2-piece barrel, do not have the flat spot on the forcing cone. My 66-7 from 2003 has a round forcing cone, like an L-frame. Possible S&W just used the same barrels for the K's and L's when they went to the 2-piece.
The two part barrel negates the need for the milling by the design. If they had done them like Dan Wesson then maybe they would be better and maybe not. But all the two part barrels I have seen may be highly accurate with jacketed ammo, they are still not very lead bullet friendly and that is a sales kill for me. I'm not big on the end of the barrel having the tensioned cap since it can be set too tight and snap off, but I guess at least that would be easier to replace than the whole barrel. Find me a 620 with the sleeve having nice sharp cut rifling and I might buy it and spread the word. But the one I finally found and rented leaded so bad I didn't want to keep using it. And that was with the range's own ammo you had to buy for their rental guns. No likey.